Optimize motor performance across speeds and simplify commissioning, tuning and motion sequencing using C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontrollers.
Houston, TX (April 18, 2013) – At long last, system designers have been liberated from limited operating ranges and time-consuming tuning processes with the new InstaSPIN™-MOTION motor control solution from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN). InstaSPIN-MOTION is a comprehensive torque-, speed- and motion- control software solution that delivers robust system performance at the highest efficiency for motor applications that operate in various motion state transitions. Built upon TI’s InstaSPIN™-FOC motor control solution, InstaSPIN-MOTION is uniquely designed to optimize complex motion sequences, reduce tuning to a single parameter and tracking desired trajectories with unmatched accuracy across operating ranges. It constitutes the easiest and most effective method for achieving optimized sensorless motor control.
TI’s InstaSPIN-FOC solution, which was announced earlier this year, takes advantage of the FAST™ premium software sensor for rotor flux measurement and provides motor identification, automatic current control tuning and sensorless feedback in a field-oriented control (FOC) torque controller and speeds deployment of efficient, sensorless, variable load three-phase motor solutions.
InstaSPIN-MOTION further improves motor performance and development time
Adding additional motor control functionality, InstaSPIN-MOTION enables more expertise on chip. With the core algorithms embedded in the read-only-memory (ROM) on TI’s 32-bit C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontrollers (MCUs), InstaSPIN-MOTION integrates SpinTAC™ components from LineStream Technologies, featuring optimized motion profiling, single-parameter tuning and a disturbance-rejecting controller, which speeds development and increases performance across changing speeds and loads. InstaSPIN-MOTION can be used with sensored feedback or with the included sensorless InstaSPIN-FOC solution.
InstaSPIN™-MOTION features and benefits:
· Eliminate motion control challenges in traditional motor systems. InstaSPIN-MOTION removes the need for inefficient, older design techniques. For example, defining the motor’s desired motion in other methods requires simplistic, inflexible trajectories, resulting in mechanical stress. Hand-coded, calculation-heavy trajectories consume valuable memory. Likewise, achieving desired motor performance across varying conditions requires multiple sets of multi-parameter, proportional-integral (PI) controllers needing time-intensive tuning.
· InstaSPIN-MOTION’s SpinTAC™ components include:
– IDENTIFY: Ensure optimum tracking and disturbance rejection, working with the real inertia of the system.
– CONTROL: Minimize effort and reduce complexity with single coefficient tuning. Rapidly test and tune velocity control from soft to stiff response, defining a controller gain that typically works across the entire variable speed and load range of an application. Actively estimate and cancel system disturbances in real time, providing maximum performance.
– MOVE: Produce an automatically optimized motion profile based on start velocity, target velocity and system limitations for acceleration, jerk and motion trajectory type.
– PLAN: Quickly build various states of motion (speed A to speed B) and tie them together with state-based logic.
· Develop and evaluate quickly using the new motor control software infrastructure, MotorWare. Take advantage of modules, drivers, system examples and documentation representing the latest in C object-oriented and API-based coding techniques.
Pricing and availability
InstaSPIN-MOTION is available today on the production-ready, 90 MHz, 32-bit floating point Piccolo F2806xM microcontrollers starting at $10.22 USD per 10 Ku. Designers can begin their latest InstaSPIN-MOTION motor designs with a low-voltage, low-current motor control kit for $299 (DRV8312-69M-KIT), low-voltage, high-current motor control kit for $299 (DRV8301-69M-KIT) or high-voltage motor control kit for $699 (TMDSHVMTRINSPIN). If designers have a previously purchased a TI motor control development kit, they can order the modular InstaSPIN-MOTION-enabled Piccolo controlCARD for $99 (TMDSCNCD28069MISO). If designers purchased any of the above kits with last month’s InstaSPIN-FOC announcement, they are already InstaSPIN-MOTION ready, just download the latest kit contents and MotorWare software.
Find out more about InstaSPIN™-MOTION and TI motor control solutions:
TI’s broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP microcontrollers, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M microcontrollers to real-time control C2000™ microcontrollers, and Hercules™ safety microcontrollers, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI´s complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.